Robert O. Agbede
Chairman, CEO & President, Chester Group
Robert O. Agbede is President and CEO of the Chester Group, a leading Total Water and Energy Management Company that specializes in water/wastewater, oil & gas, liquid natural gas (LNG), micro‐turbines, energy solutions through innovation and efficiencies, design‐build, operations and maintenance (O&M), program & construction management, asset management and scientific research & development.
The Chester Group (Chester) provides the highest quality of professional services in the following areas:
- Total Water and Energy Management
- Energy Solutions through Innovation and Improved Efficiencies
- Liquid National Gas (LNG) terminals and Micro‐turbines
- Water and Wastewater Treatment for Municipal and Industrial Customers
- Environmental Sciences, Compliances and Solutions
- Water and Energy Conservation
- Full Service Engineering: Metals, Minerals, Hydrocarbon Processing and Chemical Processing Industries, Commerical
- Design‐Build and EPCM
- Operations and Maintenance (i.e. DBOOM or DBOOMF)
- Mobile Treatment Solutions
- Program and Construction Management
Chester is headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with offices throughout the country as well as internationally. Mr. Agbede acquired the firm in 2003, making it one of the operating companies within the ATS Group, the company he founded in 1987. Chester, which turned 100 in 2010, is the largest African‐American‐owned water/wastewater, energy, and environmental engineering firm in the United States and the largest Water, Wastewater and Energy firm in Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania.
The Chester Group is also a recognized leader in the shale gas energy market in providing total energy and water solutions for all the major shale gas firms including exploration & production, midstream and distribution companies. Chester is developing energy cost saving solutions through LNG and microturbine technologies for our municipal and industrial clients.
Chester is also committed to working with our clients to assist them in managing their operations, meeting existing challenges, planning for the future, and engineering and implementing solutions to meet their needs. Chester provides innovative solutions to client issues requiring design, engineering, scientific investigation/analyses, management, and consulting services. Chester is a leading client‐focused, technology‐based national provider of professional services to major public and private sector clients.
A recognized expert in the field of exploration and production in natural gas and mining, Mr. Agbede is a University of Pittsburgh School of Engineering graduate with Bachelors and Masters Degrees and a holder of several other U.S. patents. In 2000, he was inducted into the school’s Engineering Hall of Fame, joining other prominent graduates who have made significant contributions to American industry. Mr. Agbede is the recipient of the
2009 Distinguished Alumnus Award of the University of Pittsburgh.
Mr. Agbede has developed a work culture that emphasizes the importance of giving back, viewing corporate social responsibility as good business. Chester engages with small/minority businesses and students in areas of mentoring. The Robert O. Agbede Scholarship at the University of Pittsburgh benefits African American students pursuing engineering degrees. Also at the University of Pittsburgh, the Robert O. Agbede Annual Diversity Award encourages recruitment and retention of African-American faculty and students. Chester endowments and scholarships at the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University, presently valued at over $3 million dollars, support African American student enrollment and retention primarily in Engineering and Sciences.
A partial listing of Mr. Agbede’s board memberships and noted appointments follow:
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Member of US Energy Advisory Council to the Secretary of Energy
- Member of Marcellus Shale Coalition
- Former Board member, UPMC, a 14‐billion dollar medical system that employs over 60,000 employees; Board of Visitors – UPMC.
- Former Board member, The Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, where he later served as Chairman of the Board of the Pittsburgh branch.
- Board member, the Allegheny Conference on Community Development, a private sector leadership organization with over 3,000 regional investors committed to economic growth in southwestern Pennsylvania; Member, Executive Committee.
- Member of the Allegheny Conference on Community Development CEO Leadership Group of the Energy Alliance of Greater Pittsburgh.
- Board of Trustees, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
- Board member, Vibrant Pittsburgh
- Board Member of the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Engineering Board of Visitors; Chairman, Diversity Committee.
- Founding Board Member and former Chair of the African American Chamber of Commerce of Western Pennsylvania for seven years.
- Former member of the Governor of Pennsylvania Advisory Commission on African American Affairs to advise the Governor on matters pertinent to African Americans in the commonwealth.
- Former Board Member of the Pennsylvania Minority Business Development Authority.
- Former Board of Trustees of LaRoche University, Pittsburgh.
- Former Board Member of the Fox Chapel Water Authority.
- Former Board Member of the United Way of Western Pennsylvania.
- Former Board Member of the World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh.